Monday, December 14, 2009

December 14th


31 Days of Jesus - Day 14 - Souvenirs.

Going to aim to make this really short and sweet [without all the word fluff I usually add] because I have a very difficult exam at 8am tomorrow.

My friend, Meghan, introduced me to this sermon series at her church [Renovatus in Charlotte, NC] called "In the Wilderness" because she knows I've been going through a very difficult time these last few months. The series is freaking awesome. I highly advise you check it out. Particularly the one that led me to today's blog called "Souvenirs".

Basic gist: we generally gather souvenirs to remember happy times. But, in the desert, God called Moses and the Israelites to save some of the Manna. He wanted them to remember that he was with them during that difficult time.

When I start to think about it, I'm blown away by all the times I felt God's presence in my life. In the good times for sure, but in the dark times - he's peeking out of practically every crevice!

I wanted to share one of those times with you. I hope my friend Jess won't mind. Last year [during exams] she sent me a message of "exam encouragement" on Facebook:

Jessica Jean Hudgens December 15, 2008 at 10:44am

I was praying for you just a minute ago, and I barely got three sentences out before God gave me a word for you.

He wants you to have peace during this exam week, B. He wants you to know that He has it all under control. Study, work hard, but put your faith in Him, not in your own understanding. He has placed a call on your life - and He will be faithful to fulfill that. Have faith in that and know that this exam week is only a step toward that life He called you to, and that no matter what happens this week (though I know you are brilliant and should have no worries) - you are called and you are worthy of that call. Find peace in that.

I love you.

"Yes, blessed is she who believed that the promise made her by the Lord would be fulfilled." - Luke 1:45

Reading that, a year ago, I was reduced to tears [in a good way]. I hadn't even been that worried about my exams - but in that moment I was so touched and so encouraged! It really helped me get a feel for the bigger picture.

Now, every exam week, I dig this message out of my inbox. It still makes me cry. And it still helps me focus on God's larger plan for my life. This exam week it's been especially helpful because this has been probably the hardest semester of my school career.

And all I can say is thank you, Jess. And thank You, God!

No comments: