Thursday, March 13, 2008

Instead.

Editor's note: I posted this last October in my "Girl's Eye View Blog." This is the post that started it all.

I want to be a writer. I suppose the fact that I just typed that sentence makes me one. Someday I might be able to call myself that magnificent "p" word. No, not that one.


Alas, the enigmatic word "published" does not yet grace my resume [unless you count my stint at my community college's paper, which in all fairness, I should, but I'm too snobby]. For now, I'll blog. And I'm quite content to do so.

I'm an avid MySpace blogger, but I've never had the urge to join a real blogging community before today. I don't know why today is the day. But, it was a nice day.

Ok, that's a complete lie, I know exactly why. Her name is Jessica Inman. She is my present muse, my inspiration, my - whatever, you get the picture. It all started a few days ago . . .

Imagine flashback sound: doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo (sp?)

In an effort to find good solid writing I can really sink my eyes into, I've taken to reading lots and lots of archives. Right now I'm on page 25 of the Radiant Magazine archives [not really impressive, there are 26 pages, and I started backwards [also, though not as amusing, it's relevant to mention I've read the first couple pages as well]]. More than once I've stumbled upon an insightful piece from Ms. Inman. I was intrigued and her byline mentioned her blogs here at Blogspot. Naturally, I ventured over. What I read saddened me.

Her latest blog told the tale of an article she'd written for Relevant comparing The Office and Grey's Anatomy and a not-so-nice comment she'd received. The article itself was lighthearted and funny. The comment read:

"Go read a book instead."

I felt like her overprotective big sister reading this whole scene. How dare he [or she, I really don't know]? Instead? Instead of what? Slinging mean words out of your computer?

She handled it nine times more graciously than I would have [exactly nine times, in fact]. What resonated the most was that it truly hurt her feelings. I know I've been there. The comment wasn't incredibly spiteful, but the fact that someone took time out of their day to bring her down was a real bummer.

What's worse is that the whole point of Relevant Magazine is to lift people up. I was left staring blankly at my computer screen, silently screaming, "Why don't you just be nice?!"

I thought about commenting Jessica, but some others had, and this all had taken place a while ago. No sense in stirring up old Kool-Aid. I decided to write this blog instead. If she ever happens upon it, I want her to know she's aces in my book.

So. There you have it. My first Blogspot blog. I think it's the beginning of an era [which is one way to say "I was" in Spanish [as in, "I was going to eat fettucini. I think I'll have coffee instead."]]. Actually you wouldn't use "era" in that sentence at all. You would use "fui." But I digress.

Editor's Note: I feel compelled to add that I don't really watch The Office or Grey's Anatomy. Though I hear good things.

No comments: